I find that having breakfast be a no brainer is a great timesaver in the morning. Here are my top 10 items that are ready to slide onto a plate or pour into a bowl right away.
1. Muffins---so many good recipes out there. They can be baked the night before, they are portable and kids love them. Check out www.allrecipes.com for some amazing recipes.
2. Breakfast Burritos---make your scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and fried potatos or hashbrowns the night before. The next morning pour your ingredients (I usually do scrambled eggs, fried potatos, cheese and bacon) into a microwave safe bowl and reheat. Then add a dollop of your egg mixture onto a warmed tortilla, fold one end up, then roll and they are ready to eat!
3. Fruit, Granola and Yogurt Parfaits---Preslice your choice of fruit the night before. We like strawberries and blueberries. Keep yogurt and granola on hand. Here is a link to my easy granola recipe. http://happymommy-happymommy.blogspot.com/2012/07/granola-for-breakfast-easy-recipe.html The next morning let your kids make yogurt parfaits out of the available ingredients. Serve in fun bowls for extra smiles!
4. Bullseyes--Make toast using your toasters light setting then cut out the middle with a fun shaped cookie cutter (I usually use a heart unless there is a holiday then I use a seasonal cookie cutter), butter your toast on both sides, then place in a pan that is heated. Break an egg and pour into the cutout center of your toast. Cook until firm enough to flip over and then turn the toast/egg over and cook the other side until done.
5. Scrambles---The night before break eggs and place in a bowl along with your families fave ingredients. (We like cheese, bacon, fried potatos, diced tomatos and diced green onion). The next morning pour into a heated pan, cook and stir and you have a yummy scramble for your family to eat!
6. Hot Cereal----my kids love Malt o Meal and really love adding different toppings to it. Their favorites are brown sugar and seasonal sprinkles. Oat meal is fun to add different toppings to as well.
7. Cold Cereal---they don't get this to often so it is a special treat when it is served and they LOVE it! If we have to get into the car right away in the morning I add diced dried fruit to their cereal and serve in baggies or disposable cups. Finger food!
8. Whipped Cream--kids love to dip their pancakes, waffles, french toast sticks, etc. into a dollop of whipped cream. Make it a really fun breakfast and sprinkle some colored sugar or sprinkles (you can use seasonal sprinkles or if they are into sports you can use sprinkles that are their favorite teams colors) onto the whipping cream!
9. Smoothies--cut up your favorite fruit the night before (strawberries here please!). The next morning combine your cut up fruit, yogurt and a splash of milk (I like a bit of crushed ice too) into a blender and serve! Kids love these for two reasons 1. Kids just naturally love smoothies! and 2. they like choosing what ingredients go into their smoothies. I find that the more they help me make meals and the more input I allow them to give me the more interested my kids are in eating their meals!
10. Buttered Cinnamon and Sugar Toast---what could be easier than toasting your bread, slathering it with butter and sprinkling it with cinnamon and sugar. If you want to be creative you can cut the toast into strips or use cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes. Yum!